Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Effective Vocal Instruction to Get Your Singing Better

People who are beginning to sing need effective vocal instruction. It can really make a difference in one's singing career. There are some better than others and some that are suitable for beginners compared to more experienced singers.

When I was playing guitar and drums, I always loved singing in my apartment, but I never really thought it was possible for me to sing in front of everyone. I had a friend who recommended a friend for singing lessons. I called her and we set up our first appointment.

I was surprised when she started showing me how to breathe. She told me to watch my stomach expand with inhales because I need to breath from the diaphragm instead of the stomach. What does breathing have to do with effective vocal instruction is what I was wondering.

On the exhale, she had me put my tongue up against my teeth with my mouth barely open. So there was a kind of whispering sound as I exhaled slowly and controlled. Just doing this five minutes a day greatly increased my relaxation and helped me hold notes longer when I started singing again.

After this, she got me to sing notes going up the scale with her keyboard. This is something you can do on your guitar also if you wish. Just keep trying to hit the notes and find the limits of your range. Once you find these limits, you can keep practicing up and down the scale with improved technique utilizing more head voice and you will start seeing your range expand slowly.

Which Singing Instruction is Right For You

In the beginning, you're not going to think you can go past a certain range, but I promise that you can with proper technique. No matter what range you expand to, it should never be straining your vocal chords or throat. If you're straining, then something is wrong. Hopefully this has given you a little effective vocal instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment